Wednesday, January 08, 2003

Ten Movies Everyone Should See

I decided that I wasn't going to try and tackle something like "The Ten Best Movies of ALL TIME" like one of those corny VH1 shows (that I love watching, don't get me wrong). But let's face it, I do not have the time or the resources to watch every single movie ever made and make that sort of judgement call. So, I decided to list ten movies that I think everyone should see, whether it is because they are good movies, or just to increase cultural IQ. I encourage anyone (anyone?) who reads this to email me your list, and I will post it here. And like me, you don't need to have any credentials whatsoever. Whee! So here are mine, in no particular order.

1. The Breakfast Club - this is one of those cultural relevance ones, if you're wondering.

2. Dirty Harry. I only recently watched this movie. Not only does it have GREAT lines (including the one that everyone already knows), it feels like a documentary about what 70's movies are all about.

3. Star Wars. Speaking of the 70's... even if you "don't like Sci-Fi movies," watch the first one. At least you'll be able to correctly identify wookie impressions.

4. Lord of the Rings. Same advice as #3. Also, I realized that all my movies were old. So here's a new one.

5. So I Married an Axe Murderer - If only to witness the Scottish comedy in the middle, oh so worth sitting through the rest of it. A rare Mike Myers vehicle in that it contains very little if any potty humor.

6. Braveheart. This way I have my epic bases covered. Yeah, I liked Gladiator, but this one wins that little duel, at least for me.

7. Pulp Fiction... unless you don't like cursing with your movies. That's the only complaint I have ever heard about this movie.

8. Monty Python and the Holy Grail. You'll thank me when the office geek starts quoting it. Believe me.

9. The Princess Bride. This movie makes me smile.

10. The Blues Brothers. Nothing like an original. Music superstars galore, and lot of quotable lines.

No comments: